The Covered Bridge
in the center of Newfield is “the” place to visit in Newfield. Built in 1853 and dedicated to Elijah Moore, son of an early settler, this bridge is the oldest covered bridge in daily use in New York State. Constructed at a cost of $800, the distinctive diamond pattern of the “town lattice truss” is pinned together with trunnels or “tree nails”. The roof and siding serve to protect the structure from the ravages of nature. Popular in the 1800’s because of plentiful and inexpensive timber, covered bridges or “timber tunnels” became places for social gatherings. This is the only remaining covered bridge in Tompkins County.
Zenas King Bowstring Bridge circa 1873
Over a century ago, Zenas King master bridge builder invented a new economical way to erect bridges. Modular bridges were built all over the United States, particularly in New York, Penn. and Ohio. The Zenas King Bowstring Bridge spans across the West Branch of the Cayuga Inlet, just upstream from the equally historic Covered Bridge. it is one of only five Zenas King Bridges left in New York State,